Keeping it in the family
Pon Steyn Motors is a family owned business established in 1983 in Somerset West under the name of Steyn’s Motors. The business was started by Pon Steyn and his older brother, Piet Steyn 34 years ago.
In 1994 the two brothers went on their separate paths. Pon bought the Mondeor Road property and started Pon Steyn Motors.
The company has grown from having only two employees to nearly thirty. Pon Steyn Motors has become one of South Africa top suppliers in Military spares and Land Rover spares and services. The company has grown substantially in its offering and has kept ahead of its customer’s needs.
In 2010, Pon Steyn son Arno Steyn joined the company as a part of the management team. He is currently responsible for running one of the two divisions in the company. Pon is planning to hand over the leadership reins to his son in the next 10 years. Four years ago Pon’s younger brother, Christo Steyn also joined the company and has brought with his 20 years’ experience in running his own construction company.
Together the leadership team has over 60 years’ experience in business management and are good mix of generations; each bringing their own unique contributions and expertise to the company.
Core value statement
Our business is built around being open and honest with employees and customers. We are passionate and determined. We aim to always stay humble. We strive to offer a working environment where we empower and pursue growth and learning.
Pon Steyn Motors focus on two 4x4 fields; 4x4 Trucks and Land Rovers.
1. 4x4 Trucks
We focus in the following makes & models:
- Samil 20, Samil 50 and Samil 100
- Mercedes Benz 1517 and 1113
As part of the 4x4 Truck division we offer the following services:
- Supply of new and secondhand 4x4 trucks and parts
- Refurbishment of parts
- Restoration & sales of ex-military vehicles
- Hiring of vehicles to the Film Industry
- Supply of parts for UN military vehicles in Africa
2. Land Rovers
We focus on the following make and models:
- Series IIA and III
- Defender Tdi 200, 300, TD5, Puma, 2.8i BMW, V8 3.5, V8 3.9, V8 4 litre
- Discovery 1, 2 and 3
- Range Rover Classic, Sport
As part of the Land Rover division we offer the following services:
- Full Land Rover Service Center
- Supply of new and secondhand Land Rover parts
- Custom-build Land Rovers (to client’s specific requirements)
- Land Rover accessories
- Export custom build Land Rovers to the USA
The business also generate a third stream of income through renting out storage space on the property.
4x4 Truck Division
- Civil Contractors (e.g. ASLA construction, Power Construction – Local & Rest of Africa)
- Private companies (e.g. Game Reserves)
- Farmers (Local & Rest of Africa)
- Film Industry
- United Nation suppliers
- Tour operating companies (Local & Rest of Africa)
Land Rover Division
- General Land Rover customer (Local & Rest of Africa)
- USA Land Rover Market
- Private companies (e.g. Game Reserves, 4x4 Tour Operators)